MoroksXpressions was born out of Akinyode Moronkeji’s interest in creating durable, high quality, stylish footwear. Trained in the art of shoe making, He creates men’s footwear, using African contemporary fabrics and premium quality leather.
In this exclusive interview, Akinyode takes us through what inspired his footwear brand, his challenges as an entrepreneur, and back in time to his first piece of footwear.
- Please introduce yourself and your background
My name is Akinyode Moronkeji. Am from Iragbiji in Osun State, Nigeria.
Am the CEO and Lead Creative Director @moroksxpression.
- Tell us about your work. How did Moroksxpression start?
At Moroksxpression, we are into the production of men’s footwear. We use quality leather and African contemporary fabric called Asooke in making our shoes. We pay great attention to details in making our shoes which makes us a premium brand.
Moroksxpression started about 4 years ago when a friend of mine bought a pair of shoes from abroad. He wore it for like 3 times and there was a defect on it. That was what led me to go for training in shoe making . God gave me the inspiration, I did it and it was accepted all over.
- How did you come about the name and what does it means?
Moroks happens to be my nickname way back in secondary school. It was derived from my surname Moronkeji. I added Xpression to it while going into the fashion industry because it’s me expressing my fashion sense.
- Where do you find the inspiration for your products?
God gives me the inspiration.
- Can you remember one of the first products you made? What makes it memorable?
The first product I made was a men’s brogues. What made it memorable was how nicely it came out and how people marvel when they saw it. A lot of people didn’t believe it was actually handmade in Nigeria.
- What are the challenges you face in your business?
The major challenge we have is capital for major expansion.
- Do you have any regrets venturing into this line of business?
No regrets at all
- What is your most popular product?
Our Sapphire single monk fringe is our best seller.
- To what extent do you draw upon your Nigerian (African) heritage for your work.
African heritage is our strength. We try to incorporate African culture into the latest fashion trend.
- What are your goals for the future?
Our goal is to project Nigeria to the world as one of the best shoe manufacturing countries in the world.
- What would people be surprised to learn about you?
People are always surprised when I introduce myself as a shoemaker.
- What profession would you be in if you weren’t in the leather works industry?
I would have been a Lawyer.
- If you could give one piece of advice to youths who want to start their own business, what would it be?
Passion is important in any business they want to venture into. They should not focus too much on money and fame, it would come but it’s a process. Lastly consistency is key.
Follow us on Instagram @bell_africana for more information on amazing Afrocentric brands.