As you go through your journey to fulfilling greatness or shall I say success, it is very important to know and surround yourself with people that inspire you. One of the key people that inspire me are the Obamas, in this case they don’t surround me, however, I follow them very closely from a distance.
I was very glad to have stumbled on this top 10 Rules for success stated by Michelle Obama collated by Evan Carmichael. In the spirit of the presidential election in the United States of America, I thought to share these top 10 rules given by Michelle Obama, just as they depart the White House.
Michelle Obama’s 10 Rules For Success
1. Keep moving forward: She’s a graduate of Princeton University and Harvard Law School.
“You should never be embarrassed by your struggles”, embrace them.
“Never view your challenges as a disadvantage, instead understand that your experience, facing and overcoming adversity is actually one of your biggest advantages.”
2. Be authentic: She spent her early legal career working at the law firm Sidley Austin, where she met her husband.
Be you, no matter what people around you say, “do this in the most creative and unconventional way”.
Nothing about what people say “defines you” or “changes who you are” and “can’t ever hold you back”.
3. Work hard: She worked as the Associate Dean of Student Services at the University of Chicago.
Never relent in your efforts.
4. Don’t be afraid to fail: She held positions in the Chicago city government as an Assistant to the Mayor, and as Assistant Commissioner of Planning and Development.
“Failure is the key to success”.
“You are more than capable of being successful”
“Yes you can, and you must”, get in there and be bold with your intelligence.
“Get support when you need it, know that you get to where you are because someone helped you”.
5. Choose your own path: She served as a salaried board member of TreeHouse Foods, Inc., a major Wal-Mart supplier.
“Stay true to the most authentic parts of yourself”.
Who do you want to be? Who inspires you?
“Trust yourself to charge your own cause, and make your mark on the world”.
“No matter what part you choose, make sure it’s you choosing it and not anyone else”.
6. Earn success: In May 2006, Essence listed her among “25 of the World’s Most Inspiring Women”.
“Don’t take short cuts”
“Success doesn’t count unless you earn it fair and square”.
7. Take your role seriously: During the 2013 Academy Awards, she became the first First Lady to announce the winner of an Oscar.
Whatever role/position you are in as a leader, take it very seriously.
8. Enjoy the balance: As First Lady, she has become a fashion icon, a role model for women, and an advocate for poverty awareness.
Strike a balance between your career, your role, family and life in general.
9. Do what is hard: In 2009 she was named Barbara Walters’ Most Fascinating Person of the year.
You will get to the desired point regardless of how hard.
10. Have fun: She also served on the board of directors of the Chicago Council on Global Affairs.
Through it all, have as much fun as you can doing great!
I hope you learnt a lot from these 10 top rules for success by Michelle Obama, just like I did.
Many thanks to Evan Carmichael for collating this.
Watch the video below;